Saturday, June 11, 2005

June 7th South Africa Real Estate Agent Killed by Co-Worker Ex-Boyfriend

Verdie Pearson, the sister of the founding owners of the RE/MAX Address Estate Agency in Kloof was killed by her estranged boyfriend. Farf Grubb. It was around 11 a.m. when he came into her office. According to witnesses, they talked for awhile till they heard gunshots. Grubb, 63, had shot Pearson twice in the chest and then killed himself with what is thought to be a .357 magnum handgun. They had a relationship for about 10 years but Pearson had reportedly just broken up with him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa! I was searching the Google blog search for South Africa real estate, and had quite a fright when I read "South Africa Real Estate Agent Killed". I was both relieved and saddened once I got to read your post.

I've always felt rather nervous about pretty lady real estate agents just getting into a vehicle with total strangers, as is quite normal in South Africa. And I feared that this might be one of those fears becoming reality. I think there could be a good argument made for an awareness campaign about personal safety under South African real estate agents.

Obviously, if you are going to be driving in the same car with strangers, or even show them a property on your own, it is always a good policy to meet them at the real estate agency office. This gives other people the chance to see them, and you, as real estate agent, the chance to "pre-qualify" them. Make a point of leaving their identifying information with the receptionist.

But this case is once again a case of "love gone wrong" in another South African man's head. I wish someone could tell me why a man can become so confused as to think that the selfish act of murdering a long time love interest, and then destroying himself, can have any value for anyone? It is a tragedy I cannot comprehend the motivation for.